Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Preparing Students for the "Real World"

       Recently, I found myself in a discussion about the current education system with people from two very different points of view: A recent NY high school graduate, and an education major about to embark on her student teaching journey. The specifics of the rather lengthy conversation now seem unimportant when I think about what each party's perspective was in general.
      The student teacher and I shared equal enthusiasm for much of what we have personally seen going on in classrooms. We discussed future grand plans based on all that we've been exploring during our summer with excitement and optimism. Upon hearing us, the high school graduate interjected. "For the past two years, my teachers have forced us to pass beach balls back and forth to answer questions. I've wasted 10 minutes of class time I really needed filling out Exit Slips. They're treating school like a game, and now I'm not ready for college. Teachers just need to focus on teaching us what we need to know."
      At this point, the student teacher proceeded to cite many of the professional journals and theories she recently learned in college, explaining why those so called "games" are purposeful forms of content review and formative assessments (a term the high school graduate had never heard before). She went on to express her determination for ensuring that her students learn everything they need to know by employing creative and innovative lessons each and every day. I, on the other hand, had nothing more to say. Not for lack of knowing why we teachers employ such teaching methods, but instead because the high school graduate's comments made me stop and think.
      I feel that it is necessary to point out that I have not been in a high school classroom since my own graduation in 2009. With that being said, I have been the "frustrated high school student"and I am the "very eager teacher." I can understand comments about college and career readiness not only as they pertain to the high school student, but to the fourth grader, as I believe preparing our students for the real world's trials and tribulations is the goal of an elementary and high school teacher alike. The question then becomes - How do we bridge what seems to be a gap between teacher and student enthusiasm for current classroom practices k-12 while preparing students for the "real world"?
      I've spent a good chunk of my summer researching up-and-coming teaching strategies to answer this question. Some of my favorite ideas about encouraging enthusiasm came from the book Teach Like a PIRATE, by Dave Burgess, a text I highly recommend checking out. However, to address the real world application of lessons, my newest passion is Project Based Learning (PBL). Of course, the idea of PBL is not necessarily new. I was first introduced to it this past spring during a curriculum meeting, and my interest in the subject has been peeked ever since. Getting students involved in learning that centers around their own interests and discoveries while still meeting rigorous standards certainly seems like a step in the right direction. What's more, formative assessments play a huge role in PBL. They can be used as a tool for both teachers and students, as students can reflect and revise their project goals while the teacher helps guide their questions and misconceptions, giving even more purpose to those exit slips, for instance. My hope is that I can begin to implement PBLs in my classroom starting this September, slowly at first as it all does seem like a large undertaking. However,  this year I want my students to focus deeply on critical thinking skills, creativity, and teamwork - all skills that few would disagree are important in today's society- and I feel PBL can be a way to help students integrate these skills into their daily lives. I can't wait to get started!
     Ten years from now when my students find themselves in a similar conversation to mine, I hope that they say, "I'm ready to take on the world! I had a blast discovering who I am and getting to where I am today."





No comments:

Post a Comment