Monday, August 25, 2014

A Great Text for Close Reading


I have tirelessly perused the internet and picked the brains of colleagues in the hopes of finding the answer to what I thought would be a simple question: What is close reading?

Last year I tried several different strategies in the hopes of getting my students to see just how exciting it can be to really dive into a text (it's the English major in me :) ), but frustration was getting the best of us all and I found myself shying away from close reading.

Luckily, one of my good friends recommended the text Falling in Love with Close Reading (Lehman & Roberts) and now I could not be more excited to give it another try! The authors break the process down into 3 easy steps:


Read through lenses 
Use lenses to find patterns  
Use patterns to develop a new understanding of the text

That's it! The book goes into detail with examples of how to teach students to close read which makes it all seem doable and exciting.

(I do not own the rights to Falling in Love with Close Reading, of course, but I do highly recommend it!)

Below are signs I've designed for my classroom based on the close reading ritual outlined in the book: 

Click HERE for these FREE signs!

I can't wait to get started!




4 comments:

  1. Can you post a bigger picture of your close reading signs? What are the words in the glasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The say, "Decide what you’ll be paying attention to and collect those details!"

      I've added a link that allows you to grab a copy of these signs for yourself. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Love the signs! What do the words on the glasses say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The say, "Decide what you’ll be paying attention to and collect those details!"

      I've added a link that allows you to grab a copy of these signs for yourself. Hope this helps!

      Delete