Saturday, July 16, 2016

To My Fellow "Overeager Optimists,"

   I know it can't just be me... That mid-July itch to get back into the classroom. No matter how much I love summer (and I do), I don't ever seem to be buried in as much sand as I'd like to be. Instead, I'm knee deep in PD books, Pinterest, education blogs, and my Google Drive. My wedding is in a year, but planning is often sidetracked by revamping of lesson plans. Crazy, I know! Still even more insane is what I've come to affectionately call my "overeager optimism." The sheer number of exciting new ideas to try out in the classroom is almost overwhelming, and I want to try so much of it! From HyperDocs to Interactive Notebook, #TLAP series engagement techniques to The Reading Strategy Book ideas and NGSS, I can't wait to dive in! What a time to be a teacher. :)
   A downside to being an "overeager optimist," however, is that the long summer days fool you every year into thinking that school-year-days are just as roomy. Time management is both the blessing and curse of a teacher. Stay on track in your curriculum while meeting every students' needs, AND still manage to leave work before the sun goes down - if that's 100% you, you are my hero. Add on all of the innovative ideas that books, a PLN, and colleagues have suggested, and we teachers are looking at another year of no sleep. Let's be honest though, we not-so-secretly love every minute. Being able to try out new teaching techniques that regularly engage our students in innovative ways, and fitting it all into a day jammed with valuable learning experiences is our Olympic win. After a summer full of training, we're going for the gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment